Find and Connect at Relationships Australia NT provides support services for Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants, people who were in out-of-home care prior to 1989 including foster care, orphanages, children’s homes and other State /Territory or church based institutions.
Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants grew up in or spent some time as children in institutions or other out-of-home care in Australia in the last century. Many suffered physical, emotional and/or sexual abuse while in ‘care’.
Many are now entering their 50’s, 60’s and 70’s and are in desperate need of appropriate housing. We now know that the critical housing situation that many of these people now find themselves in can be directly linked to the lifelong consequences of the experience of abuse that they suffered as children while in out of home ‘care’
Our Free services include:
- Face to Face and telephone counselling
- Connection and referral to other services
- Social get togethers, outings and support
- Support to help locate and find records
Our First Event For Forgotten Australians & Former Child Migrants in 2015 was Morning Tea at Eva’s Café, Darwin Botanic Gardens on Thursday 9th April 2015. This was a great success and both the atmosphere and the food were wonderful.
Our next event will be a BBQ at Marlow Lagoon in July.
We Clebrated the 5th Anniversary of the National Apology to The Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants at a Morning Tea hosted by the Lord Mayor of Darwin, followed by a Harbor cruise.
We also fondly farewelled Ally Richmond, Project Officer for Find And Connect She is sadly missed but we hope to catch up with her at NT Shelter soon.
GREAT NEWS for JUNE 2015.
Tony Young from the Alliance of Forgotten Australians (Tasmanian representative) who is involved in the Find and Connect program in Tasmania has been involved in our Find and Connect meetings and is hoping to be in Darwin and catch up with members in the Dry.
This will be a great opportunity to compare interstate services with ours. We look forward to seeing Tony in June 2015.
EXCITING TIMES AHEAD FOR ALICE SPRINGS!
Kerrie is planning to be in Alice Springs in May to promote the Find & Connect services. There are plans to hold a social event in Alice Springs later in the year
Securing housing for Forgotten Australians
Relationships Australia NT strongly believes that Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants housing needs requires prioritisation and special consideration by both the NT and Commonwealth Governments. Relationships Australia NT is supporting clients in their endeavours to obtain secure and safe housing whilst still being independent as they age.
The issues include:
- The lack of suitable and affordable housing: Often Forgotten Australian’s and Former Child Migrants have no family supports and for much of their life they’ve wanted something call “home”. One client has been homeless for up to 24 years and has been on the waiting list for public housing for 9 years. “I wish to finally have my “own” house – a place I can make mine, not someone else’s”
- The need for an alternative to institutionalized aged care: One client has indicated she would take her life if there was no alternative to her being placed in an aged care institution
- The need for security of housing: One client is living in a room/garage at the back of his friend’s place. This housing is dependent on his friend’s remaining on this property.
There is an urgency to consider these housing issues for these people. Many Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants are aged and require housing now.
“ This is way past overtime, can’t be any dilly
We need housing
kaark it ”
Our Find and Connect Consumer Reference group met with NT Shelter ON April 13th 2015 for advice on housing advocacy. We Plan to make approaches to Government for support in the future.
If you would like more information on anything you’ve read in this blog, please contact Kerrie on 8923 4999.
If you would like to access the Find and Connect service, please call us on (08) 8923 4999 or Free Call 1300 16 11 09